MLB makes new proposal- Union demands start date and terms by Monday

weams

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I figured you picked 1860 because it was your favorite year.

They were actually founded in 1848 but disbanded when the Bavarian monarchy suspected them of harboring anarchists and revolutionaries in that year's upheavals sweeping Europe.  They then re-established in '60.  :drungo:

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Most people are followers.  They think that wearing a Yankees jersey or hat makes them winners. when all it really says is that they took the easiest path.

I picked 1860 kind of by chance, I liked their jersey and I didn't know any better, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  Even 20 years ago I knew better than to pick Bayern.  Like when I picked an English team I couldn't pick one of the big money teams that always expects to win, but I also couldn't pick a team so forlorn that they'd never be on US TV a decade ago (already had 1860 for that) so I chose Tottenham.

So, so, so much better to be a fan of a team that's not the automatic American tourist choice.  When someone stops you to talk about your 1860 or Spurs shirt they really want to know about it and what your connection is to the team.  If they see a Bayern or a Man U shirt they would never stop you to talk, they just assume you got it in the airport.

I don't really feel the need for people to stop and talk with me because of a jersey.   They jersey was a gift.  I don't really wear jerseys as I don't play for the team.  I only like it is from Munich and that is where my family is from.   Also most of the World Cup winning German team were on Bayern at the time.  Nothing wrong with being a tourist.  But I ate plenty of home cooked meals in Bavaria.  My mom is from Munich.  I really don't see how it makes you a tourist when that is what the local people wear.  You were much more a tourist than me anyway.  I lived for 3 years in Germany. I have 16 cousins and 14 of them live in Bavaria.    My dad spent 10 years in Germany. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I don't really feel the need for people to stop and talk with me because of a jersey.   They jersey was a gift.  I don't really wear jerseys as I don't play for the team.  I only like it is from Munich and that is where my family is from.   Also most of the World Cup winning German team were on Bayern at the time.  Nothing wrong with being a tourist.  But I ate plenty of home cooked meals in Bavaria.  My mom is from Munich.  I really don't see how it makes you a tourist when that is what the local people wear.  You were much more a tourist than me anyway.  I lived for 3 years in Germany. I have 16 cousins and 14 of them live in Bavaria.    My dad spent 10 years in Germany. 

It's a very weird dynamic that I don't understand.  Germans HATE teams that try to come in with money and improve themselves.  They almost universally loathe Red Bull Leipzig and Hoffenheim for that reason.  Prior to COVID fans in multiple cities staged huge protests with bizarre, kind of violent overtones about Dietmar Hopp, Hoffenheim's billionaire owner, because he had the audacity to put money into the team.  But most of them are fine with Bayern Munich, which somehow has all the money in the universe despite the 50+1 rule that keeps large investors out. 

The Bundesliga used to be about on par with the leagues in England, Italy and Spain.  But because Bayern wins every year and even Dortmund is a selling team the league has clearly slipped behind England, and probably Spain, too.  Italy has regressed at least in part because of gambling scandals.  It's a shame, the Bundesliga has a ton of historical prestige but they can't figure out a way to mix 50+1 with some measure of competitiveness.  Ironic, because competitive balance is supposed to be a feature of the rule.

@atomic I don't really care who you root for.  It seem like you do have a family connection to the area, and that's fine.  But I was raised an Oriole fan from the age of 7 or 8.  That means it's in my character to not root for the Yanks, and Sox.  And almost every league has Yanks or Red Sox.  I can't root for any of them.  I won't root for the Patriots or the Cowboys, I can't root for Duke or Alabama.  I can't stand Man U/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal, or Bayern or Real Madrid, or Paris St. Germain.  I don't like Juventus.  I just won't do it, and when I see someone wearing those shirts or hats and I'm not in any of those places, I just assume they're doing it in a weak attempt to be cool.  Sometimes that's not the case, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

@atomic I don't really care who you root for.  It seem like you do have a family connection to the area, and that's fine.  But I was raised an Oriole fan from the age of 7 or 8.  That means it's in my character to not root for the Yanks, and Sox.  And almost every league has Yanks or Red Sox.  I can't root for any of them.  I won't root for the Patriots or the Cowboys, I can't root for Duke or Alabama.  I can't stand Man U/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal, or Bayern or Real Madrid, or Paris St. Germain.  I don't like Juventus.  I just won't do it, and when I see someone wearing those shirts or hats and I'm not in any of those places, I just assume they're doing it in a weak attempt to be cool.  Sometimes that's not the case, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

You just mentioned all the teams with good players in soccer.  Well you forgot Barcelona.   

Just now, atomic said:

You just mentioned all the teams with good players in soccer.  Well you forgot Barcelona.   

No I didn't!   There are hundreds of teams with good players.  I just mentioned the teams that have leveraged massive bank vaults full of money to acquire more than their share of good players and dominate their leagues.  It's hard to call something a competitive sport when before the season starts one team, or a small handful of teams, have the only real shots at winning the trophy.

23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's a very weird dynamic that I don't understand.  Germans HATE teams that try to come in with money and improve themselves.  They almost universally loathe Red Bull Leipzig and Hoffenheim for that reason.  Prior to COVID fans in multiple cities staged huge protests with bizarre, kind of violent overtones about Dietmar Hopp, Hoffenheim's billionaire owner, because he had the audacity to put money into the team.  But most of them are fine with Bayern Munich, which somehow has all the money in the universe despite the 50+1 rule that keeps large investors out. 

The Bundesliga used to be about on par with the leagues in England, Italy and Spain.  But because Bayern wins every year and even Dortmund is a selling team the league has clearly slipped behind England, and probably Spain, too.  Italy has regressed at least in part because of gambling scandals.  It's a shame, the Bundesliga has a ton of historical prestige but they can't figure out a way to mix 50+1 with some measure of competitiveness.  Ironic, because competitive balance is supposed to be a feature of the rule.

None of the national leagues are all that competitive.  That is why I only watch the Champions league.  Best players and best teams where anyone can win.   

25 minutes ago, atomic said:

None of the national leagues are all that competitive.  That is why I only watch the Champions league.  Best players and best teams where anyone can win.   

Many of the lower leagues are very competitive.  A week ago 1st and 8th place in the German 3. Liga was separated by four points.  That's a pennant race.

Aside from the compensation aspect, have the owners and MLBPA determined how to handle positive cases?  Or is that up in the air?  Saw that “multiple” Cowboys (Elliott being one) and Texans have it.  If you test positive, but aren’t feeling sick, do you go an “injured” list of some kind, or do you get to play?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/15/cowboys-texans-players-test-positive-covid-19/amp/

16 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Aside from the compensation aspect, have the owners and MLBPA determined how to handle positive cases?  Or is that up in the air?  Saw that “multiple” Cowboys (Elliott being one) and Texans have it.  If you test positive, but aren’t feeling sick, do you go an “injured” list of some kind, or do you get to play?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/15/cowboys-texans-players-test-positive-covid-19/amp/

I wonder if MLB is hiding positive cases of MLB players.  Have we heard of a single MLB player who has covid?  The other leagues have all reported positive cases. 

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

I wonder if MLB is hiding positive cases of MLB players.  Have we heard of a single MLB player who has covid?  The other leagues have all reported positive cases. 

I doubt it.  These NFL guys are getting tested now because the facilities are opening up.  The ones like Von Miller and the Rams center disclosed their diagnosis themselves.  Anthony Gandy-Golden tested positive during the draft process and waited until after the draft to disclose his positive test.   MLB players may have it and know they have it, but don’t have any obligation to disclose it.  

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

@atomic I just won't do it, and when I see someone wearing those shirts or hats and I'm not in any of those places, I just assume they're doing it in a weak attempt to be cool.  Sometimes that's not the case, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

And I'll just assume any American I see wearing an 1860  or Ipswich Town jersey is doing so to try to seem superior in character to fans who support the most talented and recognizable clubs globally.

1 minute ago, Anonsnides said:

And I'll just assume any American I see wearing an 1860  or Ipswich Town jersey is doing so to try to seem superior in character to fans who support the most talented and recognizable clubs globally.

I'd assume an Ipswich jersey is a Lovecraft reference.